The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:
- The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.
- The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.
- The right to require written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901
The College may disclose those items designated as directory information from a student’s education record unless directed otherwise by the student in writing. SUNY Canton has designated directory information to include:
- Student’s full name
- Local address and telephone number
- Campus e-mail address
- Home address and home telephone number
- Date of birth
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Degrees and awards received
- Date(s) of graduation
- Participation in officially recognized sports and activities
- The most recent previous educational institution attended
Students have the right to restrict the disclosure of the items designated as directory information. If students exercise this right, such information will not be released without their written consent except as provided by law and College policy. If a student wishes to withhold directory information they must complete a confidentiality form and return to the Registrar’s Office.
A student may choose to waive their FERPA rights and allow academic information to be shared with certain people by setting up guest access in UcanWeb. This waiver allows SUNY Canton to share academic information from the student’s education records with the persons listed on the completed form when they provide the student’s SUNY Canton ID and the correct password. An assigned Proxy can also view any information the student gives access to through UcanWeb with their own guest log in.
To assign a Proxy please follow this link: http://www.canton.edu/advising_center/documents/Webforproxy.pdf
We will honor existing FERPA waivers that were done with the paper form but this allows the proxy access to all information, no restrictions. We encourage students to stop in the Registrar’s Office to remove old FERPA waivers and complete the web proxy.
Miller Campus Center - 1st Floor
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
8:00 am - 4:00 pm