Veterinary Science Technology - A.A.S.
Since 1978, SUNY Canton's Veterinary Science Program has been fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The mission of the Veterinary Science Technology program provides qualified students with the education and skills necessary to obtain licensure and seek employment as a veterinary technician.
The Veterinary Science Technology program is a dynamic blend of instruction, extensive hands experience in small laboratory sections (average about 20 students), and a senior preceptorship. Students who successfully complete the program, upon graduation, will be eligible to take the National Veterinary Technician Licensing Examination and apply for certification as a licensed veterinary technician.
Looking for a recession-proof job? At the present time, there is a serious shortage of veterinary technicians throughout the country. With an expected growth rate of 41 percent in the next decade, Veterinary Technician is among the nation's “150 Recession-Proof Jobs,” coming in at No. 2 according to a recent CBS News report. (This news report highlights St. Petersburg College, Florida.)
What's Unique About our Program?
Our faculty and staff are actively involved in student learning and activities for both the college and community and we invite you to:
- Visit the Newell Veterinary Science Technology Building
- Read through our Program Handbook
- Review the Veterinary Science Technology course descriptions
- Look at the Veterinary Services Management Bachelor of Technology Program
- Check out our newest program, the Veterinary Technology Bachelor of Science Program
Students in this Major:
- Are trained to work with companion animals, equine, food and fiber animals, and common laboratory animal species.
- Perform mandatory kennel duty rotation in their senior year
- Will be eligible to take the certification examination of the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science after 6 months of laboratory employment
Veterinary technicians provide professional technical support to veterinarians, biomedical researchers, and other animal care specialists. Technicians may work in:
- In 2011, there were about ten jobs available per graduate.
- Transfer into the 4 year Veterinary Services Management, Bachelor of Technology degree or Veterinary Technology, Bachelor of Science degree at SUNY Canton.
- Articulation agreement with Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences undergraduate program in Animal Science for any student graduating with a 3.0 average and possessing the required prerequisite courses.
- Articulation agreement with Mercy College.
Time To Complete the Program:
Once enrolled in Fundamental Veterinary Nursing Skills I (VSCT 101), students must complete the Veterinary Science program within four years. For extraordinary situations, permission to complete the Veterinary Science program beyond four years may be granted by the Dean of the School of Science, Health and Criminal Justice in consultation with the Veterinary Science Program Director.
1931 N Meacham Rd.
Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360
- Full Accreditation
- Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission.
- Admission is selective and is based on academic credentials. In order to be considered for admission, high school graduates should have a recommended high school average of 75 or higher at the time the application is submitted.
- Biology Regents exam with 75 or better
- Chemistry Regents exam with 65 or better
- NYS Geometry Regents or Math A plus one year with 75 or better
- English Regents exam with 75 or better
- Minimum high school average of 75
- OR college equivalents of the above courses with C or better; and 2.5 transfer GPA
- Non-New York State high school graduate transcripts will be evaluated by admissions staff for leveling purposes.
- Students who do not meet necessary prerequisites may enroll in a preparatory curriculum. Once a grade of 2.0 or better has been achieved in each of the prerequisites of BIOL 101 or 102, CHEM 101 and MATH 106; and an overall 2.5 grade point average has been achieved, the student may apply for admission to the Veterinary Science Technology curriculum.
- Technical Standards Required for Admission to Veterinary Technology
- A pre-exposure rabies vaccination series (3 injections) is strongly recommended for all Veterinary Science Technology students. This can usually be arranged through your local health department or personal physician.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0521)
Semester I Credits
|VSCT 101||Fundamental Veterinary Nursing Skills I||2|
|VSCT 103||Introduction to Animal Agriculture||2|
|BIOL 150||College Biology I (GER 2)||4|
|CHEM 150||College Chemistry I||4|
|Expository Writing (GER 10) OR
Oral and Written Expression (GER 10)
|FYEP 101||First Year Experience||1|
Semester II Credits
|VSCT 104||Veterinary Office Procedures||1|
|VSCT 112||Veterinary Clinical Pathology I||3|
|VSCT 114||Animal Anatomy & Physiology||3|
|VSCT 115||Fundamental Veterinary Nursing Skills II||2|
|VSCT 212||Research Animal Techniques||1|
|BIOL 209||Microbiology (GER)||4|
|Liberal Arts Elective (GER 7, 8, 9)||3|
Semester III Credits
|VSCT 202||Veterinary Clinical Pathology II||3|
|VSCT 203||Small Animal Medicine & Therapeutic Techniques||3|
|VSCT 204||Large Animal Medicine & Therapeutic Techniques||2|
|VSCT 205||Radiographic Techniques||2|
|VSCT 206||Anesthetic Principles||3|
|VSCT 207||Animal Health & Disease||3|
Semester IV Credits
|VSCT 102||Companion Animal Behavior||2|
|VSCT 210||Veterinary Microbiology||3|
|VSCT 211||Animal Hospital Practices and Procedures*||3|
|VSCT 213||Practical Nutrition||2|
|VSCT 214||Veterinary Pharmacology||2|
|PSYC 101||Introductory Psychology (GER 3)||3|
|Liberal Arts Elective (GER 4, 5, 6)||3|
*Fulfills writing intensive requirement.
– Of the courses with the VSCT prefix, any course may only be repeated one time.
NOTE: Veterinary Science Technology students must successfully complete the SUNY Canton Computer Competency requirement.
In order to graduate from the Veterinary Science Technology program, students must successfully complete the course VSCT 211 to comply with the residency requirement.