Sports Management - BBA
The SUNY Canton BBA in Sports Management prepares individuals for professional careers within sport organizations, such as non-profit companies, commercial and private enterprises, government/public sector jobs, and various levels of professional sports.
- Leadership for sport professionals
- Sports finance
- Sport in society
- Legal issues in sport
- Event management
- Operations and facilities management
- Sports media
- Public relations, communications and marketing
Preparation is the key to success on the athletic field, in the classroom or in the office. SUNY Canton’s bachelor‘s degree in sports management focuses on building a strong foundation of skills that can be utilized in this growing industry. Just like in sports, it’s a fast-paced environment that changes every day.
Graduates will be prepared to step out into the field, armed with the knowledge and creativity to succeed. Whether the goal is to become a president of a professional sports team, assist in game management and operations, or focus on the financial side of the industry, SUNY Canton’s extensive curriculum and internship opportunities allow students to experience it all while deciding their particular area of interest in the sports profession.
Jeff Lake '11
Internship with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- An academically credential faculty with over 40 years of direct experience in sports administration, sports media and relations, sports event management and promotions, sports business, and coaching.
- Exciting array of sport management courses that offer students experiential learning opportunities and hands-on application.
- An area rich in sports venues and organizations from Division I – Division III athletic programs within 10 miles, a professional sport franchise (Ottawa Senators) just 50 minutes away, minor league organizations within 60 minutes and the Lake Placid Olympic Training Center located just 83 miles away. Plus, numerous recreational sport venues and businesses located throughout the Adirondack region. All of which provide ample opportunity for class field trips and exposure to different sport organizations and sport professionals.
- Flexible capstone opportunities from semester long internships to hands on, applied senior courses and projects. The program also offers various culminating experience options that include applied senior level courses and/or senior research project and/or semester internship.
Students in Sports Operations & Facilities Management review design plans for the college’s
new athletic facility. Jim Hurd from Architectural Resources speaks to the class about the design of the $40 million structure.
The sports industry has evolved and changed over the years, and so has the study of Sport Management. The SUNY Canton BBA in Sport Management will develop capable sport management professionals able to apply creative communication, leadership, and managerial skills in an array of positions in the sport industry. These positions can include:
- Sports Administration
- Public Relations
- Information and Media
- Event Management
Students will be prepared for the wide range of opportunities within the sports industry and be ready to begin an exciting career armed with the skills, knowledge, hands-on experience, and confidence for a successful transition.
This program prepares students who wish to pursue an advanced degree such as Master's in Sport Management, Athletic Administration, or an MBA.
WHAT INTERN HOSTS ARE SAYING ABOUT SUNY CANTON SPORTS MANAGEMENT STUDENTS….
“Jeff Lake has been a breath of fresh air and a wonderful addition to the Bridgeport Sound Tiger and Webster Bank Arena Teams. It is our goal and mission with our internship programs, to have our young men and women ready and equipped for the working world, we feel as though we accomplished that with Jeff. His hard work and dedication to the internship has made him a top candidate here with the organization.”
Vice President of Sales
Harbor Yard Sports & Entertainment & Bridgeport Sound Tigers
“Having Emily as an intern this semester has been a wonderful experience. She comes to work each day with a great attitude, great ideas, and sense of professionalism that is second to none. The education she has received at SUNY Canton prepared her well for the internship and I am looking forward to a continued relationship with the Sports Management program."
Associate Director of Athletics
WHAT PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND PARENTS ARE SAYING AFTER THEY VISIT…
"Finally, and possibly most important was our time with Dr. Para discussing the Sports Management Degree Program! She is amazing; my Father who is a very good judge of character would not stop talking about how impressed he was with Dr Para. This was much different from the Colleges we had previously visited."
Prospective Student – Spring 2012
"My son really likes his Sports Management Professor. She was very friendly and open about what she expects from her students. She had an enormous amount of energy when talking with the potential students about the sports management business field. I almost wanted to take sports management!"
Parent of Prospective Student – Spring 2012
WHAT PROFESSIONAL PARTNERS ARE SAYING ABOUT SUNY CANTON SPMT STUDENTS….
"What a week! We had an incredible tournament, with so much going right. I must say the young men who were present did an outstanding job. We had several compliments from people at Penn State Fayette and from our Executive Director on the job that they did. The most impressive part was the limited supervision they needed—when they were asked to do a job, they didn’t need to be asked again, and on several occasions, didn’t need to be asked at all.
I commend them for the outstanding job they did, and we certainly hope they enjoyed their time working with us. It is a major stress reliever when you have people working with you who are more than capable and don’t need to be micromanaged. They were respectful, professional, and proactive. We couldn’t have asked for better help, and I will be pushing for a continued partnership with your program."
Director of Championships
United States Collegiate Athletic Association