Financial Aid for Summer Study
There is financial aid available for the summer sessions. In order to receive aid for summer, the following must be taken into consideration:
- You must admitted into a degree program. New students graduating from high school in June 2013 will not be eligible for summer financial aid. Other students admitted for the Fall 2013 term must also be admitted for Summer 2013 to apply for aid.
- All summer courses MUST be applicable to your current degree program in order to receive aid. Your academic advisor will assign you a summer registration code for scheduling access on UCanWeb.
- Financial aid that you apply for in the summer may reduce your eligibility for other aid during the academic year or in a subsequent year.
- Taking courses at another college? To receive aid to help pay for them you must complete and submit a Consortium Agreement. To be aid eligible the course must transfer back into your degree program. Be prepared to pay for your course upfront and be reimbursed by aid later, not all schools participate in this process especially during summer. Be sure to check with the other school for their policy when signing up for the courses.
The Summer Financial Aid Application will be available in mid-April.
There are several types of financial aid available for summer study. There are different eligibility criteria for each fund type, see the summer aid application for details.
- Federal Work-Study (enrollment not required),
- Federal Pell Grant,
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans,
- Federal Direct Parent Loan,
- NYS TAP Grant,
- Private loans and other third-party grants.
Your eligibility for each program will be determined by a member of the Financial Aid staff.
To apply for Summer 2013 financial aid:
- File the 2013-2014 FAFSA form.
- Provide us with any additional documentation that is required. Watch your email for notices and check your UCanWeb account for financial aid requirements.
- File your TAP application with NYS HESC. View your current TAP Status online.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor and pre-schedule your summer courses in your UCanWeb account.
- Complete the SUNY Canton summer financial aid application. Be sure to read all of the guidelines and submit the completed form to the Student Service Center.
- Login to your UCanWeb account and complete the summer billing forms. Review the summer billing instructions for details.
- Watch your SUNY Canton email for follow-up notifications from the Student Service Center.
- Once your summer financial aid has been determined, you must confirm your acceptance and pay any remaining balance due on your account.
- Be sure to watch your SUNY Canton email for updates! Your summer registration will not be official until your bill has been paid and/or covered by financial aid.