Southworth Library/Learning Commons ~ 1st floor
The Writing Center is a tutoring lab designed to meet the needs of SUNY Canton students. Whether a freshman or a senior, a nursing major or a graphic design major, everyone's writing can benefit from the help of a responsible tutor. We offer assistance with academic reading, writing, and study skills across a variety of disciplines. Our mission is to help students improve their writing skills in an environment where they can write and seek feedback with ease. Please take a look at the information and links below to find out how we can best serve you.
How to have a successful Writing Center experience:
- Seek assistance early. Do not wait until the day your assignment is due or an hour before class starts to meet with a tutor. Allow yourself enough time to attend several tutoring sessions if necessary.
- Come with something written. Even brainstorming or free-writing about your assignment is a start.
- Arrive prepared. Bring class notes, assignment guidelines, the course syllabus, textbooks, research, etc.
- Ask specific questions. Make sure you understand what the tutor is suggesting or writing on your paper. Also, let your tutor know what concerns you have about your writing.
- Sign in to the Writing Center’s Log-in computer. Doing so, helps us better serve students in the future!
- Keep in mind that all writers need feedback. Writing is a collaborative process. Even the best and most successful writers have help revising and editing their work.
Additional ESL/LP Services: Help with English as a Second Language and Limited Proficiency services.
Writing Center Handouts and Online Resources : Need help formatting your paper? Want to know more about plagiarism or annotated bibliographies? One or more of these popular Writing Center handouts might help answer your questions.
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617