Questions About Payroll

What is meant by “lag” payroll and when will I receive my first paycheck?
All State employees are paid on a biweekly lag basis. This means that you are paid for a two-week pay period (beginning on a Thursday through the second Wednesday) two weeks after the conclusion of that pay period (exception: hourly employees are paid three weeks after conclusion of a pay period). Therefore, it may take up to four weeks from your date of hire to receive your first check. You will also continue to receive checks after you separate from service until the lag is paid out. In addition, there is a five-day salary deferral (for those individuals in positions represented by CSEA, PEF, or M/C employees). This means that one-day’s pay is deducted from each of the first five paychecks, but will be returned to the employee upon separation from service. Contact the Payroll office at (315) 386-7012 for more information.

What deductions can I expect to come out of my paycheck?
Deductions include the following:

  • Mandatory Federal and State taxes (as applicable)
  • FICA Tax
  • Social Security – 6.2% of salary
  • Medicare – 1.45% of salary (Note: students while enrolled in classes and certain non-resident aliens are exempt)
  • Retirement contributions (new, fulltime employees) -   Percentage based on salary
  • Union dues or agency shop fee
  • Optional Health Insurance
  • Tax Deferred Savings Plan
  • Flex Spending Account
  • Personal Insurance Through Union

How do I change the amount of taxes being withheld from my paycheck?
Complete form W4 to change the amount of your federal withholding, and form IT-2104 to change your New York State withholding. The W4 is available by clicking here W4 Fill-in (PDF). The IT-2104 is available by clicking here IT-2104 Fill-in (PDF).  Forms are also available in the Human Resource Services office or the Payroll office and completed forms should be submitted to Payroll, French Hall 200.

How do I enroll for Direct Deposit?
Direct deposit is a safe and convenient way to manage your biweekly paycheck. Your money will be securely transferred into the checking or savings account of your choice each payday, saving you the trouble of keeping track of a paper check and a trip to the bank. You may select to direct your pay into up to eight (8) different accounts. If you are interested in taking advantage of the safety and convenience of direct deposit, please contact the Payroll Office at 386-7012 or print the Direct Deposit Form and mail it to Payroll along with a voided check or blank deposit slip. Direct deposit may take several paychecks to take effect, so please plan accordingly.

What is an I-9 form and why do I have to show originals as supporting documentation?
The I-9 is a federally required document that verifies that an individual is eligible for employment in this country.  According to the rules governing the completion of the I-9, only original documents can be used.  You can find the required documentation listed on the back of the I-9 form: one document from list “A” OR one each from lists “B” and “C”.

How often do I have to complete an I-9 form?
US citizens: I-9’s are valid continuously unless a break of employment occurs.  If an employee is hired within three (3) years after original completion of the I-9, a new I-9 does not need to be completed.  However, if any supporting documentation is expired, you may have to provide updated documents.
International employees on H-1B (specialty occupation) or J-1 (exchange visitor) visas must have their I-9 updated each time their visa is renewed.
In the event of a name change, new supporting documentation is also required.

Contact Information

Payroll Office
Address: 34 Cornell Drive Canton, NY 13617
Campus Location: French Hall
Phone: (315) 386-7012
Fax: (315) 315-386-7064

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm