Full-time faculty and professional staff are eligible to elect one of three retirement programs. Some part-time faculty members and professional staff, depending upon their work obligation and appointment status, may also be able to join a retirement program.
- New York State Employees' Retirement System (ERS)
- New York State Teachers' Retirement System (TRS)
- Optional Retirement Program (ORP)
Participation in one of the above retirement systems is mandatory for all full-time faculty and professional employees and optional for part-time employees. A retirement election must be made within thirty (30) days of your appointment.
New Employee - How to Enroll in a Retirement Program
Once you have carefully reviewed your options, your first step is to register with Retirement@Work and elect your retirement program and provide your retirement system history. All SUNY Canton NEW employees must use Retirement@Work to select a retirement plan within 30 days of their hire date. Retirement Election is a 2-step process:
Step 1: Register with Retirement@Work and elect your retirement plan.
Step 2: Complete your retirement plan election by completing the enrollment process required by the plan you selected.
- If you selected the SUNY Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) based upon your eligibility, you will need to complete an online enrollment process with the investment provider you selected. You will then need to send confirmation of your enrollment to your Benefit Administrator.
- If you selected a Defined Pension Plan (NYSLRS, TRS or PFRS) based on your eligibility, you will need to complete the required paper application.
ERS Tier VI Membership Application - Use only if selecting ERS
PFRS Tier VI Membership Application - Use only if selecting PFRS
TRS Tier VI Membership Application - Use only if selecting TRS