Home > Mission
SUNY Canton is dedicated to providing a progression of accessible, affordable, high-quality applied programs that enable students in the North Country, New York State, and beyond to achieve their highest potential both personally and professionally.
Educating the leaders of tomorrow for careers in the global technological economy.
Values Statement & Distinctive Identity
- A Student-Centered Philosophy... by keeping students' best interests at the center of everything that we do.
- Excellence... by challenging everyone to perform at a consistently high level through continuous quality improvement.
- Integrity... by treating others with honesty and respect during every interaction.
- Success... by creating an environment that encourages maximum personal and professional growth and helps students translate that growth into meaningful action.
- Diversity... by fostering a culture of inclusiveness that values individual differences, gives voice to all in the campus community, promotes the free exchange of ideas based on merit, and encourages a global perspective.
- Access... by offering affordable career- oriented public higher education to motivated, mature and disciplined students through innovative delivery methods.
- Sustainability... by implementing viable long-term options for resource usage, disaster management, transportation, and waste management in connection with all campus activities and weaving sustainability concepts throughout the curriculum.
- Flexibility... by embracing change to better address the needs of the college community and society at large.
Institutional Goals & Objectives
- Enhance instruction and assessment; support professional development; advisory boards for all academic programs
- Improve facilities/infrastructure/equipment to meet student needs
- Enhance opportunities for applied learning (e.g., research, civic engagement, service learning, internships, international programs, etc.)
- Lower costs to students: open educational resources, low cost, textbook free, improved scheduling
- Identify and implement procedures to increase revenues, promote efficiency, and reduce costs where appropriate
- Align budget with strategic initiatives
- Prioritize customer service
- Streamline workflow processes
- Increase communication & collaboration across the campus
- Capture external funding opportunities
- Adapt to changing enrollment landscape and changed demographics
- Refine & support comprehensive marketing plan and branding
- Enhance retention efforts across the campus
- Increase scholarships and facilitate timely graduation
- Support enrollment activities (e.g., Open House, Admitted Student Days, etc.)
- Implement energy management systems
- Purchase more energy-efficient equipment; use green products
- Reduce printing
- Reduce solid waste: zero-sort recycling, composting of food waste
- Recycle oil
- Reflect on sustainability as a priority in the curriculum
- Implement Faculty Diversity Plan; participate in SUNY Prodi-G program
- Enhance support, mentorship, and community among underrepresented faculty and staff
- Recruit and retain diverse students
- Enhance visibility of cultural diversity
- Promote use of Center for Diversities and Inclusion
- Meet needs of diverse campus community (e.g., neurodiversity)
- Infuse academic programming into student life; infuse student life into academic programming
- Encourage greater faculty/staff/student attendance/participation at campus events
- Increase community and connectiveness in virtual and campus-based environments
- Increase sense of community through created traditions
- Enhance communications
- Cultivate alumni (incl. virtual)
- Partner with community on initiatives (e.g., Downtown Revitalization Initiative, Entrepreneurship Center)
- Encourage community and civic engagement
- Create pipeline to postsecondary institutions
- Provide programming for workforce development and community needs
- Increase hosting opportunities for community events