Cross Registration Procedures

Associated Colleges’ Cross Registration

  1. Associated Colleges’ Cross registration is open to full-time, undergraduate and graduate students and staff members within the member institutions of the Associated Colleges of the St. Lawrence Valley: SUNY Canton, SUNY Potsdam, St. Lawrence University, and Clarkson University. Cross registration permits access to courses not available on the student’s own campus. SUNY Canton students are not eligible to use the Associated Colleges Cross Registration to cross register to SUNY Potsdam. They must follow the procedures for SUNY Cross Registration below.
  2. Eligible persons may register for a maximum of two courses per academic year for a total of no more than 8 credits (Fall semester through the completion of Summer Session) at campuses other than their own. Exceptions to this policy may be made under unusual or extenuating circumstances by the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs at the institution offering the course.
  3. After students have identified courses for which they wish to cross register, they must obtain the signed approval of their program advisor or academic Dean to ensure that the course satisfies the student’s program and credit-hour requirements.
  4. The completed form must be returned to the Registrar of the institution at which the student is officially enrolled or employed.
  5. Institutions in the Consortium schedule different starting and ending dates and vacations. The student is individually responsible for arranging to keep up with course work despite calendar disjunctions and, in some cases, must arrange for food and lodging when dormitories at the home campus are closed.
  6. All students taking a course on a campus other than their own must abide by all appropriate attendance regulations, honor systems, parking regulations, and the like at that institution.
  7. Cross registration cannot be used for non-credit courses. Winterterm courses are not eligible for cross registration.
  8. Associated Colleges Cross Registration cannot be used by full time matriculated students between the SUNY Canton and SUNY Potsdam Campuses. Full time students must use the SUNY Cross Registration.

SUNY Cross Registration

  1. SUNY Cross Registration is available to any matriculated SUNY who is registered full time at their home institution and wishes to take courses at any other SUNY campus. SUNY Cross Registration allows SUNY students access to courses not available at the student’s home campus.
  2. Eligible students may register for a maximum of (6) six credits of undergraduate cross-registered coursework per semester. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the home institution and additional tuition and fees may apply.
  3. Eligible students must have the approval of both the home and host institution. Students are responsible for ensuring that the course(s) for which they register meet the requirements of their degree. If the student changes their major/minor, the courses for which they cross-registered may no longer count toward degree requirements.
  4. Please NOTE: even if a student has the permission of the instructor or has satisfied all pre-requisites/co-requisites necessary for enrollment at the host institution, the student must still complete the registration process through the appropriate office at the host institution in order to be considered officially registered in a course.
  5. Registration dates and deadlines vary by college. Students are responsible for contacting the host institution for registration related dates and deadlines and determining which office(s) are responsible for signing the form.
  6. Students will be responsible for the attendance and academic requirements of the course even if home and host calendars do not coincide.
  7. The student’s signature on the Cross Registration Agreement is considered approval for the host institution to automatically release grades/transcripts to the home institution at the end of the semester.
  8. Enrollment changes may impact a student’s eligibility for financial aid for the current term and/or future terms, (e.g. dropping below full-time). Students should consult their home Financial Aid Office regarding academic eligibility for financial aid, including satisfactory academic progress standards.
  9. Students are responsible for notifying the appropriate offices on BOTH campuses if they withdraw from a course(s) (Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, etc.). Failure to do so can result in a failing grade at the host institution.
  10. The student’s signature on the Cross Registration Agreement indicates their agreement to abide by all regulations imposed by the host institution (parking, attendance, library rules, etc.). In addition the host institution may apply rules and regulations to incoming students as it deems necessary (e.g., restrictions on classes based on seat availability). Students should be aware of the schools rules and regulations before they cross-register.
  11. Home institution students have priority for all courses at the college or university, so popular courses may be closed to cross-registrants because of space limitations.
  12. Mini-semesters, Winter Terms, and Summer Sessions are not covered by the Cross Registration Agreement.
  13. All course-related fees in excess of tuition are the responsibility of the student (e.g., lab fees). Click here for more information on course fees.
  14. Please be advised that if a student drops below full-time at their home institution, he/she may be liable for tuition at the host institution.
  15. Any Health Center (immunization/records/physical exam, etc.) requirements must be met at BOTH institutions, even if they differ.
  16. Students who are cross-registering at Community Colleges must file residency documents at the host institution. This means the student will need to provide the Community College a Certificate of Residency (must be obtained from the county of their permanent residence).
  17. Registration is the responsibility of the student. The student must check with the host institution to confirm how they plan to process the students’ form, enrollment, and any necessary additional information or paperwork required to complete the enrollment process.