SUNY Canton recognizes that the following forms of transportation (Including but not limited to: bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, hoverboard/hoverboard type vehicles) and other low impact forms of wheeled transportation are legitimate methods of both exercise and transportation. However, some people choose to utilize these items in other than a conventional manner, thereby creating a physical danger to themselves and others as well as a hazard to property. In an effort to continue to provide for the open use of college property for these modes of transportation, the following guidelines are adopted.
- No wheeled vehicles used for personal transportation except youth strollers and those that assist disabled persons in navigating may be used within any campus building.
- Bicycles, when not in use, must be securely locked to approved bicycle racks. Bicycles secured to trees, poles, stairways, railings, hand rails, and guard rails or blocks wheel chair ramps, pedestrian egress, creates a safety hazard or appears to have been abandoned, may be impounded by University Police.
- Skateboarders, rollerbladers, and hoverboarders using sidewalks will do so safely and will yield the right of way to pedestrians. They will travel at a safe speed, may not do any of the following activities: jumping, riding over steps and/or curbs, riding on walls and railings.
- Skateboarders and rollerbladers, using campus roadways will travel at a safe speed, in the right lane of traffic only, as close to the right-hand curb as is feasible.
- Motorized vehicles (Including but not limited to: scooters, mopeds, motorcycles) should not be operated on sidewalks or parked in any manner to block or impede pedestrian egress, emergency exits, or handicap access feature to any campus building.