SUNY Canton
International Programs Office



  • Pick up the SUNY application packet from the International Programs Office or download the application from this website (under "Apply Now").  Some other SUNY schools may require you to complete an online application through their website - you MUST notify SUNY Canton’s International Programs Office of your application status.
  • If applying to more than one program, you do NOT need multiple copies of anything other than your Transcripts (one official transcript is required for each program you apply to).  You request official transcripts from the Registrar's office
  • If applying to a program in a country where the native language is not English or at a University where courses are not offered in English, the Foreign Language Proficiency Form must be completed by a language instructor at SUNY Canton.
  • After writing your essay, ask someone to proofread your work. Your essay must be signed by your academic advisor.  Your essay should be 3-5 paragraphs, typed, and free of spelling and grammatical errors. 
  • Give confidential reference forms, along with an envelope, to two academic instructors (and one non-academic reference if required by the program).  Allow your instructors at least two weeks to complete the reference forms.  Instructors can either mail the reference forms to MAC 234 or to ensure they are not misplaced, make an appointment with the professor to personally pick them up and deliver them to the International Programs Office.
  • Submit your completed application, reference forms, language proficiency form, and essay to the International Programs Office.

Application Fees and Additional Paperwork

If you are applying to another SUNY's program, contact them directly to find out if you need to submit an application fee and any other required paperwork

Application Deadlines

It is best to apply 3-5 weeks before the application deadline, the semester before you plan to travel. This will give you a cushion of time before the deadline, just in case you are missing paperwork.  If the application deadline has passed, call the administering campus and ask if the deadline has been extended. Make sure, that if you have applied via the web directly to another SUNY campus' program, that you notify SUNY Canton's International Programs Office of your study abroad intent.

Confirming an Offer of Acceptance

Make an appointment to talk with a Financial Aid Advisor and/or your parents about financing your trip abroad. Send in your deposit as soon as you decided to accept an offer to study abroad to secure your space.  If you have applied to more than one program, be sure to notify the programs you have decided NOT to go on of your decision.

Make an Appointment

Make an appointment with the International Programs Office to complete the required paperwork.

Pre-Departure Orientation

You must attend SUNY Canton's Pre-Departure Orientation, even if you are accepted to another SUNY's study abroad program.

var nav = responsiveNav(".nav-collapse");