Faculty of Record Initiated Changes
Faculty of record initiated changes in student grades are permitted. A Grade Change form must be signed by the appropriate Department Chairperson and School Dean and delivered to the Registrar no later than the ninth week of the subsequent semester. Faculty of record initiated grade changes later than nine weeks in the subsequent semester will require valid and documented evidence and will be processed through the appropriate Department Chairperson. The final decision will be at the discretion of the School Dean.
Appropriate reasons for grade corrections or changes may include but are not be limited to:
- Demonstrable arithmetic, editing, or factual error in calculating the grade.
- Omission of assignments or parts of assignments in calculating the grade.
- A grade demonstrably based on impermissible factors unrelated to student performance, such as discrimination, bias, retaliation, or retribution.
- Demonstrable deviant academic conduct of cheating, plagiarism, and/or alteration of academic documents.
Inappropriate reasons for grade changes may include but are not be limited to:
- Saving a student from some academic penalty such as dismissal, probation, warning, or academic integrity program.
- Enabling a student to graduate.
- Enabling a student to maintain academic eligibility for financial aid.
- Enabling a student to graduate with academic honors or meet some other established minima.
- Personal issues unrelated to academics.
- Enabling a student to maintain academic eligibility for athletics or any other co-curricular activity.
- Managing enrollment levels.
Administrative Initiated Grade Changes
In the event that the faculty of record is unable to initiate a grade change, due to illness or death, the appropriate Department Chair may initiate a grade change on a Change of Grade form. Such grade change must be approved by the appropriate Dean and Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs.
In the event that a grade demonstrably based on impermissible factors unrelated to student performance, such as discrimination, bias, retaliation, or retribution was assigned by the faculty of record, upon resolution of an Academic Grievance or other formalized internal or external grievance or legal process, the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs in consultation with the appropriate Dean may initiate a change of grade on a Change of Grade form. Such change of grade will require the approval of the President.
Assignment of Grades by Someone Other than Faculty of Record
In the event that the faculty of record is not available to assign a grade in a reasonable timeframe, the appropriate Department Chair will designate a qualified faculty member to do so.
Faculty Retention of Student Records
Faculty should maintain the academic records they use to determine final grades for two years.