Vehicle - LENS Policy
Campus vehicles include DMV-licensed, State-owned, leased, or rented vehicles. The vehicles will be used by LENS (Licenses Event Notification Services) approved members of the campus community for official travel as part of their campus duties. The following regulations apply to the use of the vehicles:
- Only individuals on official business for SUNY Canton may drive DMV-licensed, State-owned, leased, or rented vehicles. In order to be approved for the use of a vehicle, an individual must submit a Driver’s Clearance application to University Police. Only those individuals with prior approval will be authorized to operate DMV-licensed, State-owned, leased, or rented vehicles.
- All drivers must possess a New York State driver’s license and have held a valid driver’s license for three years. Drivers who have a valid driver’s license for less than three years can drive State vehicles on campus only.
- All approved drivers are expected to comply with all laws and regulations in the State and municipality in which they are traveling.
- The charge for fleet cars or minivans will be recharged to the designated departmental accounts.
- Damage to fleet vehicles that is the result of “driver negligence” will be recharged to the designated department account at actual cost of repairs.
- The University will use the approved LENS (License Event Notification Services) Guidelines to determine eligibility of applicants.
- Passengers must be New York State Employees or part of campus sanctioned activities.