Work Study - Supervisor Information

About Financial Aid and Work Study

Work Study is one of three major types of Federal financial aid (grants and loans are the other two). Students seeking a Work Study award/job should apply using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Financial Aid Office compiles a financial aid package which MAY include Work Study. Students are notified of their financial aid options by mail and through UCanWeb. Students who are given a Work Study award are sent instructions for securing a campus job.

Hiring Work Study Students

Offices must apply for a monetary allocation to hire Work Study funded student workers. Applications are reviewed and allocations are determined annually by a campus committee. To be considered for an allocation contact the Financial Aid Office.

Responsibilities of a Supervisor

Once an office is given an allocation, positions can be posted on Handshake. Contact Career Services about how to create an employer account on the Handshake system. Just like any employer, job descriptions should be worded to attract students to apply for the position. You may want to:

  • Make your position sound compelling - not just "answer phones"
  • Add details about the job
  • Make the position attractive and professionally beneficial

Encourage student applicants to submit a resume and consider interviewing candidates.

Supervisors are also responsible for completing employment forms such as W-4, I-9 and NYS retirement forms. Contact Human Resources for information.

Completing weekly payroll and monitoring the allocation budget is also the responsibility of the supervisor. For questions about payroll processes and/or forms contact Human Resources.

SUNY Canton Career Services Office
Miller Campus Center, Room 224
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617

Office: (315) 386-7119
Fax: (315) 386-7980