Work Study - Student Information

Work Study is one of three major types of financial aid (grants and loans are the other two). If you would like a Work Study job please follow the steps below.

Step 1:

Fill out your Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate your interest in having Work Study considered part of your financial aid package in Section 1 (question 31).

Step 2:

SUNY Canton's Financial Aid Office determines who is eligible and makes awards. If you have questions about your award and whether or not you have Work Study funds, contact the One Hop Shop in Miller Campus Center 012. You will be notified by Financial Aid of your Work Study award and instructions on how to get a job.

Step 3:

You can view available work-study jobs posted on Handshake. You will also need proper ID with you to sign up for a job:

  • U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card,OR
  • A picture ID - Drivers License, NYS ID card, College ID, AND
  • Original Social Security card or Original or Certified Copy of Birth Certificate

If you have questions about forms of ID, call Human Resources (315-386-7325)

Step 4:

Contact your prospective supervisor about your interest in their position. Be polite. Be professional. You are applying for a job. Work Study guarantees a job. Your attitude can insure that it's a job you WANT.

Step 5:

If the supervisor wants to hire you, they will complete employment forms with you.  The forms need to be filed with Human Resources. From that point your supervisor will monitor your work and submit your time sheets to Payroll. Students are paid BI-WEEKLY starting FOUR WEEKS AFTER their first hours are submitted.

SUNY Canton Career Services Office
Miller Campus Center, Room 224
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617

Office: (315) 386-7119
Fax: (315) 386-7980