Home > Human Resources > FAQS > Attendance

Questions On Leaves & Attendance Records

Can I charge my sick leave accruals for a death in the family?

Yes, if immediate family (up to 15 days annually for M/C and Classified; up to 30 days for UUP).

I'm going on maternity or sick leave. What forms do I need to complete?

You must complete a Family & Medical Leave Request Form and provide Human Resources with documentation from your health care provider. For details about the family and medical leave process and employee rights, view the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

I have to report for jury duty. What do I need to do?

Advise your supervisor and obtain a signed certificate of attendance from the court clerk. Provide a copy to your supervisor upon your return and attach a copy to your time sheet. Do not charge accruals. Since the State grants excused time, you cannot accept payment for Jury Duty.

I know someone who is going to be on medical leave and does not have enough accruals. Can I donate accruals?

If the person is employed at the University or another SUNY campus and is eligible to receive donated credits, you may donate vacation accruals as long as you leave yourself at least 10 days. You may donate across state facilities only if you are a family member. Leave Donation Forms are available in the Payroll Office. All bargaining units participate except Council 82.

If I am approved to take a day off and then get sick, may I charge my absence to sick leave?

No. Sick leave can only be charged for absences on days that you are both scheduled and available to work. If you get sick on a weekend, you don’t get two days off the following week.

I have gotten hurt at work, how and to whom do I report the accident to?

Workers' Compensation is intended to protect employees against loss of income or loss of employment when they are necessarily absent from work because of an on-the-job injury or illness.

Contact Information

Human Resources Office
Address: 34 Cornell Drive Canton, NY 13617
Campus Location: French Hall
Phone: (315) 386-7325
Fax: (315) 315-386-7064
Email: hr@canton.edu

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm