Michael J. Newtown, P.E.
Dean, Canino School of Engineering Technology
HVAC Engineering Technology
Office: Nevaldine South 115
Ph.D. Student Engineering Science
M.S. Engineering and Global Operation Management
B.S. - Mechanical Engineering Technology
Rochester Institute of Technology
A.A.S. - Mechanical Engineering Technology
ACADEMIC INTERESTS/PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, Air Condition, Engineering
- Member of American Society of Engineering Education
- Interested in heat transfer and fluid mechanics applications in energy application. Currently researching three wood pellet boilers with thermal storage tank combustion and geothermal surface water heat exchanger.
Teaching interest are in
- HVAC courses are both in Engineering Technology and Trade programs
- Air Conditioning
- Domestic and Commercial Heating
- Building Controls
- Sustainable Energy courses are Wind, Photovoltaic, Passive Solar, Geothermal
- Engineering Science courses are Statistics, Strengths of Materials, and Programming
- Mechanical Eng. Tech. courses are Manufacturing, Fluid Mechanics, Fluid Power, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Design of Experiments, Quality Control, Tool Design and CAD 2-D and 3-D
PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Sriraam R. Chandrasekaran, Philip K. Hopke, Arthur Hurlbut, and Mike Newtown, “Characterization of Emissions from Grass Pellet Combustion”, Energy and Fuels, 27, pp 5298-5306 (2013)
- Sriraam R. Chandrasekaran, Philip K. Hopke, Michael Newtown, and Arthur Hurlbut, “Residential-Scale Biomass Boiler Emissions and Efficiency Characterization for Several Fuels”, Energy and Fuels, 27(8), pp 4840-4849 (2013)
- Michael J. Newtown, and Arthur Hurlbut “Testing of Combustion Performance of Domestic and European Grass Pellet Boiler and Furnace” NYSERDA Final Report (2014)
Papers: In Review
- Michael J. Newtown, and Arthur Hurlbut, “Wood Pellet Heating Systems Combustion Demonstration”, NYSERDA Project #32978, Pending 2018
- May 2011- Presentation on Initial findings of Grass Pellet Combustion to Northeast Biomass Heating Expo, NYSERDA Agreement # 10673
- May 2012- Follow-up presentation on Grass Pellet Combustion to Northeast Biomass Heating Expo, NYSERDA Agreement # 10673 & Panel member for discussion on the Future of Biomass Heating.
- June 2015 – Project Briefing on Wood Pellet Buffer Tank Demonstration NYSERDA Agreement 32978 to NYSERDA.
- NYSERDA Agreement # 32978 Wood Pellet Heating System Combustion Demonstration
- NYSERDA Agreement # 10673 Testing of Combustion Performance of Domestic and European Grass Pellet Boiler and Furnace
- NYSERDA Agreement # 10052 Field Demonstration of Grass Pellet Production
- 2017 Newtown, M. & Scheidt, D. (co-PIs). SUNY Performance Improvement Fund: Online B.S./Micro-credential—Sustainable Construction Management ($170,000).
- 2017 Newtown, M. & Scheidt, D. (co-PIs). SUNY Performance Improvement Fund: Online B.Tech./Micro-credential—Industrial Technology Management/Logistics ($190,000).
- 2017 Newtown, M. & Scheidt D. (co-PIs). SUNY Performance Improvement Fund: Solar Ready Vets (micro-credential) & Alternative & Renewable Energy Systems (B.Tech.): Expanding Applied Learning Opportunities ($298,000).
- Dissertation Research, Surface Water Geothermal Heat Exchangers Effect on Winter Lake Conditions
- Performed energy load analysis and HVAC designs for residential & small commercial construction projects.
- I do woodworking, and building furniture for my home.
- I am rebuilding an Allis Chalmers B tractor that dates back to 1939.
- Avid model builder
- Enjoy reading for fun