Veterinary Science Technology - A.A.S.
Since 1978, SUNY Canton's Veterinary Science Program has been fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The mission of the Veterinary Science Technology program provides qualified students with the education and skills necessary to obtain licensure and seek employment as a veterinary technician.
The Veterinary Science Technology program is a dynamic blend of instruction, extensive hands experience in small laboratory sections (average about 20 students), and a senior preceptorship. Students who successfully complete the program, upon graduation, will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam and apply for certification as a licensed veterinary technician.What's Unique About our Program?
- Dogs, cats and a variety of laboratory animals are housed in Newell Veterinary Science Technology Building
- Our 5 year passage rate on the Veterinary Technology National Exam is 90%
- Read through our Program Handbook
- Review the Veterinary Science Technology course descriptions
- Look at the Veterinary Service Administration, BBA program
- Check out our newest program, the Veterinary Technology, BS program
Students in this Major:
- Are trained to work with companion animals, equine, food and fiber animals, and common laboratory animal species
- Perform mandatory kennel duty rotation in their senior year
- Perform two 120 hr preceptorships at a clinical site
- Will be eligible to take the certification examination of the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science after 6 months of laboratory employment
Veterinary technicians provide professional technical support to veterinarians, biomedical researchers, and other animal care specialists. Technicians may work in:
Employment statistics are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics 2016-2026 Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Veterinary Technician has been listed as one of Money Magazine's "Top 10 Fastest Growing Career Fields."
- At the present time, there is a serious shortage of veterinary technicians throughout the country.
- Transfer into the 4 year Veterinary Service Administration, Bachelor's in Business Administration degree or Veterinary Technology, Bachelor's of Science degree at SUNY Canton.
- Articulation agreement with Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences undergraduate program in Animal Science for any student graduating with a 3.0 average and possessing the required prerequisite courses.
- Articulation agreement with Mercy College.
- Articulation agreement with Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine for students with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher and possessing the required prerequisite courses.
Time To Complete the Program:
Once enrolled in Fundamental Veterinary Nursing Skills I (VSCT 101), students must complete the Veterinary Science program within four years. For extraordinary situations, permission to complete the Veterinary Science program beyond four years may be granted by the Dean of the School of Science, Health and Criminal Justice in consultation with the Veterinary Science Program Director.
1931 N Meacham Rd.
Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360
- Full Accreditation
Newell Vet Tech Center 101E
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617