Veterinary Science Technology - Program Description
Admissions is selective and is based on academic credentials. In order to be considered for admissions a student must possess the following:
- Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission.
- Admission is selective and is based on academic credentials and rubric score.
- A cumulative high school average of 75 or better
- Biology Regents exam with 75 or better
- Chemistry Regents exam with 65 or better
- Two high school Regents math courses with a grade of 75 or better on the second NYS Regents mathematics examination.
- Equivalent college level course work: Intermediate Algebra, Introduction to Biology and Introduction to Chemistry all with a final grade of C or higher and an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
- Non New York high school graduate transcripts will be evaluated by the admissions staff for leveling purposes.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a personal statement of 300 words or less detailing their related experience and their reasons for applying to the veterinary technology program.
- Technical Standards Required for Admission to Veterinary Technology
- Pre-exposure rabies vaccination is required of all students. This is administered in a series of three vaccinations and must be completed prior entering the first 120 hr mandatory preceptorship (VSCT 201).
- Rabies Letter
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0521)
Semester I Credits
Semester II Credits
|BIOL 209||Microbiology (GER)||4|
|VSCT 104||Veterinary Office Procedures||1|
|VSCT 112||Veterinary Clinical Pathology I||3|
|VSCT 114||Animal Anatomy & Physiology||3|
|VSCT 115||Fundamental Veterinary Nursing Skills II||2|
|VSCT 201||Veterinary Technology Preceptorship I||1|
|VSCT 212||Research Animal Techniques||1|
|Liberal Arts Elective (GER 1,4,5,6,7,8 or 9)||3|
Semester III Credits
Semester IV Credits
|PSYC 101||Introductory Psychology (GER 3)||3|
|VSCT 210||Veterinary Microbiology||3|
|VSCT 211||Animal Hospital Practices and Procedures*||3|
|VSCT 213||Practical Nutrition||2|
|VSCT 214||Veterinary Pharmacology||2|
* Fulfills writing intensive requirement.
** Students in the Veterinary Science Technology, AAS program are required to earn a C or better in all VSCT courses taken for credit in the program. Students who do not receive a grade of C or better in any of these courses will not be allowed to continue in the program. Students not allowed to continue in the program will have to change their majors and then apply for readmission to the program for the following year if they still want to pursue this major after receiving a grade less than C. Readmission to the program is selective and not guaranteed.
** Of the courses with the VSCT prefix, any course may only be repeated one time.
** The NYS Education Department Office of the Professions requires persons applying for licensure to answer questions related to a conviction or a crime or professional misconduct.
** Students must complete SUNY Canton’s VSCT 211 and at least 9 other hours of graded course work with a VSCT prefix in order to meet the program’s residency requirement.
Mary O'Horo Loomis
Newell Vet Tech Center 101A
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617