Tutor Recommendation Form
Please DO NOT print this form. Printed forms will not be accepted. Please use the digital form provided on this page.
Thank you for taking the time to recommend a tutor for Tutoring Services! We appreciate the assistance of faculty and staff in the process of identifying potential tutors. Our tutor selection is influenced by specific selection criteria established by our College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) certification, as well as lab needs and our annual budget. Please note that our ability to hire the student you recommend will be contingent upon these factors.
Student (peer) tutors must:
- Be enrolled in courses at SUNY Canton.
- Provide a transcript at the time of hire and each semester thereafter supporting good academic standing with an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher. All courses that students wish to tutor must be reflected as completed coursework on their transcript with a final grade of 3.0 or better.*
- We recognize that circumstances caused by the pandemic have caused students to experience academic hardships that, in some cases, have impacted their GPA. At this time, we are reviewing recommendations for students who do not meet the criteria and making decisions on a case-by-case basis. Your recommendation will be instrumental in the decision-making process.
- Provide a faculty/staff endorsement(s) relevant to the areas in which they wish to tutor supporting them as a tutor for the Tutoring Center.
- Submit a completed Tutoring Services application.
- Complete the CRLA training program within the first semester of employment.
If you know a qualified student you wish to recommend, please complete and submit the form below. If you have any questions, please contact the Tutoring Center at extension x7879.
As part of the application process, we require students to seek the recommendation of a faculty or staff member who can assess their skills in a number of areas relevant to the position. By providing your endorsement, you affirm that you recommend this student to tutor because they have a thorough understanding of the course content and/or demonstrate the skills necessary for academic achievement. Further, this student would be able to assist other students in learning course content, impart successful study skills and habits to other students, and serve as a positive role model among their peers.
Betty J. Evans Tutoring Center
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Fall 2023 Hours of Operation:
Sunday, 1:00 PM to midnight
Late Night Tutoring
Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Business & Accounting Lab
Monday-Thurs., 5:00 PM to midnight
Late Night Tutoring