Connect with Us!
Location: Learning Commons, 1st Floor Rm 123
Walk-ins welcome, appointments suggested.
Phone: (315) 386-7308
Whether a freshman or a senior, a nursing major or a graphic design major, everyone's writing can benefit from the help of a responsive tutor. The Writing Center offers assistance with academic reading, writing, and study skills across a variety of disciplines. In addition to tutoring, the Writing Center offers style manuals, handouts, WiFi, and printing, making it a quiet and convenient location to work on writing projects.
Virtual Writing Center Handouts and Resources: Need help formatting your paper? Want to know more about plagiarism or annotated bibliographies? One or more of these popular Writing Center handouts might help answer your questions.
ELL Resources: Help with English language learning and links to helpful resources
Information for Faculty: Who are we, what we do (and don't do), and other answers to frequently asked questions.
How to Prepare for a Successful Tutoring Experience
- Seek assistance early and often. Do not wait until the day your assignment is due or an hour before class starts to meet with a tutor. Allow yourself enough time to attend several tutoring sessions if necessary.
- Come with something written. Even brainstorming or free-writing about your assignment is a great start.
- Arrive prepared. Bring assignment guidelines, class notes, the course syllabus, textbooks, research, etc.
- Ask specific questions. Your tutor will want to have a conversation with you about your writing, and a conversation requires input from both sides. Let your tutor know what concerns you have about your writing and ask lots of questions!
- Sign in to the Writing Center’s Log-in computer. Doing so helps us better serve students in the future!
- Keep in mind that all writers need feedback. Writing is a collaborative process. Even the best and most successful writers have help revising and editing their work.
Betty J. Evans Tutoring Center
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617