Please visit our Campus Tutoring Schedules page for information on tutoring for Summer Term.
Connect with Us!
Location: Southworth Library Learning Commons, 1st Floor Rm 123
Walk-ins welcome, appointments suggested.
Phone: (315) 386-7308
Whether a freshman or a senior, a nursing major or a graphic design major, everyone's writing can benefit from the help of a responsive tutor. The Writing Center offers assistance with academic reading, writing, and study skills across a variety of disciplines. In addition to tutoring, the Writing Center offers style manuals, handouts, WiFi, and printing, making it a quiet and convenient location to work on writing projects.
Writing Center Handouts and Online Resources: Need help formatting your paper? Want to know more about plagiarism or annotated bibliographies? One or more of these popular Writing Center handouts might help answer your questions.
ELL Resources: Help with English language learning and links to helpful resources
Information for Faculty: Who are we, what we do (and don't do), and other answers to frequently asked questions.
How to Prepare for a Successful Tutoring Experience
- Seek assistance early and often. Do not wait until the day your assignment is due or an hour before class starts to meet with a tutor. Allow yourself enough time to attend several tutoring sessions if necessary.
- Come with something written. Even brainstorming or free-writing about your assignment is a great start.
- Arrive prepared. Bring assignment guidelines, class notes, the course syllabus, textbooks, research, etc.
- Ask specific questions. Your tutor will want to have a conversation with you about your writing, and a conversation requires input from both sides. Let your tutor know what concerns you have about your writing and ask lots of questions!
- Sign in to the Writing Center’s Log-in computer. Doing so helps us better serve students in the future!
- Keep in mind that all writers need feedback. Writing is a collaborative process. Even the best and most successful writers have help revising and editing their work.
Betty J. Evans Tutoring Center
Southworth Library Learning Commons
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617