Mechanical Engineering Technology Objectives and Outcomes
Mechanical Engineering Technology Mission
The Mechanical Engineering Technology program at SUNY Canton will provide Mechanical Engineering Technicians with the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to seek further education and/or practice in the design, installation, manufacturing, testing, evaluation, technical sales, or maintenance of mechanical systems.
- an ability to apply knowledge, techniques, skills and modern tools of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to solve well-defined engineering problems appropriate to the discipline
- an ability to design solutions for well-defined technical problems and assist with the engineering design of systems, components, or processes appropriate to the discipline
- an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in well-defined technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature
- an ability to conduct standard tests, measurements, and experiments and to analyze and interpret the results
- an ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team
- Application of principles of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing;
- Use of computer aided drafting and design software;
- Selection, set-up, and calibration of measurement tools/instrumentation;
- Preparation of laboratory reports and systems documentation associated with development, installation, or maintenance of mechanical components and systems;
- Basic familiarity and use of industry codes, specifications, and standards;
- Use of basic engineering mechanics; and
- An integrating or capstone experience utilizing skills acquired in the program.
Mechanical Engineering Technology