HVAC Engineering Technology - A.A.S.
SUNY Canton is a leader in HVAC education and this program is well-suited for individuals with an interest in energy and technology.
With energy costs at their current level, this program leads to employment opportunities across the U.S. and around the globe. It also provides excellent preparation for entry into baccalaureate programs such as Sustainable Energy Technology or Industrial Technology Management at SUNY Canton. Students also pursue baccalaureate degrees at other institutions.
HVAC Engineering Technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
415 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Students in this Major:
- Communicate effectively and professionally in the building environment through proper use of verbal, written, and graphic techniques.
- Develop mathematical skills in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus, using analytical problem solving methods.
- Be proficient and apply mathematics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and principle of heat transfer to air conditioning designs.
- Employ logical and concise analytical techniques to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrate the capability to develop engineering drawings for HVAC projects.
- Develop skills using specific codes, ASHRAE standards and handbooks.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of HVAC components and how to use as a system to maintain design conditions.
Employment statistics are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics 2016-2026 Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Service Technicians
- HVAC Contractors
- HVAC Sales
- Controls Specialists
All graduating students seeking employment in the past two years have accepted employment by the first of June after graduation.
Recent Employers of SUNY Canton Graduates:
- Day Automation Systems
- Prax Air, Inc.
- Central New York Trane
- Thomas Associates
- T.P. Woodside, Inc.
- Galson Engineering
- GEMMA Power Systems
- Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission.
- Students must be qualified to enter Pre-Calculus Algebra (MATH 123)
Students who do not meet the recommended high school math prerequisites will be admitted to either Heating and Plumbing Service or Air Conditioning Maintenance & Repair certificate programs. Students will be admitted into the Air Conditioning Engineering Technology program upon successful completion of either certificate program.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0444)
Semester I Credits
|ENGL 101||Composition and the Spoken Word (GER 10)||3|
|MATH 123||Pre-Calculus Algebra (GER 1)||4|
|ENGS 101||Introduction to Engineering||2|
|PHYS 121||College Physics I (GER 2)||3|
|PHYS 125||Physics Lab I*||1|
|SOET 116||Intro to CAD||2|
Semester II Credits
|MATH 161||Calculus I (GER 1)||4|
|MECH 103||Intro to HVAC-R||3|
|PHYS 122||College Physics II (GER 2)||3|
|PHYS 126||Physics Lab II*||1|
|SOET 250||Introduction to 3D CAD and BIM||2|
|Humanities Elective (GER 7)||3|
Semester III Credits
|ACHP 243||Air Conditioning I||3|
|ACHP 253||Domestic and Commercial Heating I*||4|
|ENGS 102||Programming for Engineers||2|
|MECH 241||Fluid Mechanics||3|
|MECH 242||Fluid Power Lab||1|
Semester IV Credits
|ACHP 254||Domestic and Commercial Heating II||4|
|ACHP 264||Air Conditioning Systems Design||1|
|CITA 220||Data Communications and Network Technology||3|
|CITA 221||Data Communications and Network Technology Lab||1|
|ELEC 141||Industrial Controls||2|
|GER Elective (GER 3,4,5,6)||3|
* Fulfills writing intensive requirement.
Additional Graduation Requirements
Students must have completed while at SUNY Canton, 12 credits of 200 level courses, including ACHP 264, contained in the current Air Conditioning curriculum and earning a minimum GPA of 2.0 for all such credit hours taken while under the direct advisement of the program faculty.
Review the Index of Course Descriptions
HVAC Engineering Technology
Fall Enrollment Trends
Graduation Rate Trends*
|Cohort Entering||Cohort Size||%|
*Graduate rates are based on first-time, full-time, degree-seeking freshmen entering in fall and graduating within 150% of time.