Practical Nursing - Certificate
The SUNY Canton Practical Nursing Certificate program is based upon the beliefs that:
The Practical Nursing Program combines general education courses and nursing courses that allow students to complete their education in one year and be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN licensing exam. Classroom lectures, laboratory sessions and clinical practicums in area hospitals, long term care facilities and community health agencies are offered over two semesters.
Education is viewed as a mentoring relationship based on mutual respect and understanding that recognizes the diverse needs of the learner and empowers the learner to achieve their highest level of potential. Graduates earn a Certificate in Practical Nursing and are eligible to become Licensed Practical Nurses.
- Practical Nursing Program Handbook
- Admission Requirements
- Technical Standards Required for Admission
- Please do not purchase Google Chromebook computers for the program. Unfortunately they do not work with our software.
Employment statistics are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics 2016-2026 Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Graduates gain employment in:
- Clinics and Physician Offices
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Hospice and Home Health Care agencies
- Psychiatric and Mental Health Units
The program has candidacy status from the:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Registered by the NYS Education Department, Office of the Professions.
State Education Building - 2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12234
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0938)
Semester I Credits
|LPNC 100||Drug Dosage Calculations & Pharmacology*||3|
|LPNC 101||PN Fundamentals*||8|
|BIOL 217||Human Anatomy & Physiology I** (GER 2)||4|
|ENGL 101||Composition and the Spoken Word** (GER 10)||3|
Semester II Credits
|LPNC 102||Practical Nursing - Specialty Populations*||3|
|LPNC 103||PN Medical-Surgical Nursing*||8|
|BIOL 218||Human Anatomy & Physiology II**||4|
|PSYC 101||Introduction to Psychology** (GER 3)||3|
*A grade of C+ or better is required for successful completion of all Nursing courses.
**A grade of C or better in all co-requisite courses.
Students must complete all LPNC courses with a minimal grade of C+ in order to graduate and corequisite courses with a grade of C or better.
- GPA of 2.0 or better is required to continue in the program. Of the two clinical practical nursing courses (LPNC 101, LPNC 103), only one may be repeated one time.
- Students will complete clinical experiences in hospitals, long-term care facilities, and community agencies throughout Northern New York.
- Clinical hours may include day, evening, and weekend hours.
- The college does not provide transportation to clinical sites.
- Residency Requirements: Students must complete SUNY Canton's LPNC 102 and LPNC 103 in order to complete the program residency requirements.
- Enrolled students are required to purchase a standardized testing program.
- A tablet or laptop computer is required.
- CPR certification (Health Provider Status) is required prior to admission and throughout the program.
Review the Index of Course Descriptions