Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Are University Police Officers really police?

Yes, University Police Officers have full police powers. In January of 1999, New York State legislation signed by Governor Pataki went into effect changing Public Safety Officers on SUNY campuses to University Police. This changed the officers law enforcement status from peace officers to police officers.

Other than patrol campus, what services do University Police provide?

University Police at SUNY Canton perform various duties that are often not visible to the campus community. A few of these duties include monitoring campus emergency phones, which encompass the University Police main number (7777), the campus blue light phones and campus generated 911 calls. University Police also monitor the campus fire alarm system. We provide emergency notifications, register and store firearms, and maintain the campus lost and found. We assist motorists by loaning jumper cables, gas, and respond to vehicle lockouts. We process reports and maintain campus crime statistics. We prepare cases and testify at judicial hearings and criminal court. Some of the more visible duties that University Police perform are to conduct educational programs, respond to complaints and emergencies, investigate crimes and make arrests.

I'm 21 years old. Can I have alcohol in my room?

SUNY Canton strictly adheres to New York State laws concerning the possession, consumption, and sale of alcoholic beverages. Individuals under 21 years of age are not permitted to possess or consume alcohol in accordance with New York State's Alcohol and Beverage Control Law. Resident students who are 21 years of age or older are permitted to possess and consume alcohol in their dorm rooms only when all residents are 21 years of age or older. At the time alcohol is being consumed in a dorm room, there cannot be anyone under 21 years of age in the room. Those individuals over 21 years of age who possess alcohol are responsible for the safe guarding of their supply of alcohol so that other students who are not 21 will be prevented from obtaining it. For further information on alcohol policies at SUNY Canton see the Student Handbook and Residence Hall Guide.

My car battery is dead. Could University Police jump start my vehicle?

University Police cannot use patrol vehicles for jump starts due to the potential risk of damage to essential electronic equipment. However, the University Police Department has a "Booster Pac" for starting vehicles with dead batteries. A second vehicle is not required with the Booster Pac. The Booster Pac is available to be loaned to students, faculty or staff at SUNY Canton. University Police also has jumper cables and gas cans and gas available for loan. To borrow any of this equipment, simply come to the University Police building with some form of identification. University Police can also assist you should you lock your keys in your car.

Where can students park on campus?

Upon payment of the Parking and Registration Fee, students may park in any of the student parking lots provided on campus. These parking lots are lot 1, 3, 4, 6,7, and 13, or any other area designated by the Chief of University Police. Students cannot park in any lot designated as a faculty staff parking lot. For further information regarding parking on campus refer to the Regulations Governing Vehicle Registration, Traffic, and Parking.

I am a student and need an escort. Who do I call?

The University Police Department provides escort service upon request. Call 7777 whenever you need an escort. The University Police will not provide escort services (or rides) off campus unless there is extenuating circumstances.

I need an address or a telephone number. Will the University Police provide it?

University Police does not give out addresses of students or staff. If you need a telephone number on campus of a staff or student, you should first dial 7000 for directory assistance. If the Telecomm Office is closed, the University Police Department will assist in forwarding you to the correct extension.