Financial Aid for Summer Study
There is financial aid available for the summer sessions. In order to receive aid for summer, the following must be taken into consideration:
- You must admitted into a degree program. New students will not be eligible for summer financial aid (includes students admitted for Fall 2021).
- All summer courses MUST be applicable to your current degree program in order to receive aid. Your academic advisor will assign you a summer registration code for scheduling access on UCanWeb.
- Financial aid you receive in the summer may reduce your eligibility for aid during the academic year or in a subsequent year.
- Are you taking courses at another college? To be aid eligible the course must transfer back into your degree program.
- If taking a course with another SUNY school including community colleges, then you must complete the SUNY Cross-Registration Application (required if you want to use financial aid).
- If the course is through a non-SUNY school, then you must complete and submit the Consortium Agreement Information with all required signatures.
You should be prepared to pay for your course upfront and be reimbursed by aid later, if eligible. Not all schools participate in this process, especially during the summer term. Check with your school for their policy when signing up for the course.
Be sure to read carefully and follow all steps in the process to receive summer aid!
There are several types of financial aid available for summer study. There are different eligibility criteria for each fund type, see the summer aid application for details.
- Federal Work-Study (enrollment not required),
- Federal Pell Grant,
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans,
- Federal Direct Parent Loan,
- NYS TAP Grant,
- Private loans and other third-party grants.
Your eligibility for each program will be determined by a member of the Financial Aid staff.
To apply for Summer 2021 financial aid you must complete these steps:
- File the 2021-2022 FAFSA form.
- Provide us with any additional documentation that is required. Watch your email for notices and check your UCanWeb account for financial aid requirements.
- File your TAP application with NYS HESC. View your current TAP Status online.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor and schedule your summer courses in your UCanWeb account.
- Complete the Summer Financial Aid Application. Be sure to read all of the guidelines and submit the completed form to the One Hop Shop.
- Login to your UCanWeb account and complete the summer billing forms. Review the summer billing instructions for details.
- Watch your SUNY Canton email for follow-up notifications from the One Hop Shop. We will notify you by email what summer assistance you have been offered.
- Once your summer financial aid has been determined, you must confirm your acceptance and pay any remaining balance due on your account.
- Be sure to watch your SUNY Canton email for updates! Your summer registration will not be official until your bill has been paid and/or covered by financial aid.